- 2 sheets premade pie crust dough
- 3-4 Granny Smith apples, thinly sliced
- 2 T. all-purpose flour
- 2 t. cinnamon
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 egg
- Turbinado sugar
For the Browned Butter Bourbon Sauce:
- ¼ c. butter
- ½ c. dark brown sugar
- 3 T. heavy whipping cream
- 2 T. Devil’s River Bourbon Whiskey
- Preheat the oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Unroll the premade pie crust dough, and use a small bowl or a large circle cookie cutter with a diameter of approximately 4-5” to cut out circles of dough for the galettes. You should be able to get at least six, with some dough leftover.
- In a large bowl, toss the thinly sliced apples with the flour, cinnamon, and salt.
- Arrange the now-lightly coated apples in the center of each circle of dough, and fold up the dough around the edges of the apples, crimping as you go. Place the assembled galettes on the baking sheet.
- (Pro tip: Use a fall-themed cookie cutter to cut out festive pieces from the remaining pie crust scraps, and add those to the assembled galettes for added decoration. You can also bake those pieces all by themselves alongside the galettes. They’re delicious dipped in the bourbon sauce!)
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with a splash of water, and brush the egg wash all over the tops of the galette crusts. Sprinkle heavily with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the crusts are golden brown.
While the galettes are baking, prepare the Browned Butter Bourbon Sauce:
- Start by browning the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. As the butter melts and heats up, it will foam and eventually start to brown. Once you see it browning—brown flecks will start gathering at the bottom of the saucepan—add in the brown sugar, whipping cream, Bourbon, and a pinch of salt, and whisk to combine.
- Continue simmering for another 2-3 minutes, until the sauce has started to thicken. Set aside to cool slightly.
- When the galettes are done baking, remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet just slightly before drizzling the bourbon sauce over the top.
- Serve and enjoy with extra spoonfuls of the Browned Butter Bourbon Sauce nearby!
Created in partnership with The Whimsical Cook.