- For the cupcakes:
- 2 c. cake flour
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- ¾ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 2 t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 c. buttermilk
- ½ c. canola or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- 1 c. freshly brewed hot coffee
- For the coffee bourbon buttercream:
- 1 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 2 ½ T. Devils River Coffee Bourbon
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Cinnamon for garnish, if desired
To make the chocolate cupcakes*:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until just combined. Then slowly pour in the hot coffee. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is incorporated. (The batter will be pretty runny.)
- Pour the batter into the lined muffin tins, filling each liner only two-thirds full. Be sure not to overfill the tins!
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes completely in the tins on a cooling rack before frosting.
To make the bourbon coffee buttercream:
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-low until it is smooth and creamy. This should only take about a minute.
- Reduce the mixer’s speed to low and add the powdered sugar one cup at a time until combined. Scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed to make sure everything is incorporated.
- With the mixer still on low, add the Devils River Coffee Bourbon, vanilla, and salt and mix just until the liquid has been incorporated. Then increase the speed to medium-high and beat until the frosting is creamy and smooth about two minutes.
- Use a piping bag fitted with the piping tip of your choice (or you can always use a gallon-sized plastic storage bag with the corner snipped off) to pipe the buttercream frosting on to your cupcakes. Garnish with cinnamon, if desired.
*This chocolate cupcake recipe is adapted from Ina Garten’s Beatty’s Chocolate Cake recipe.
Created in partnership with The Whimsical Cook.