Hosting a BBQ this weekend? Impress your friends and family with this mouth-watering bourbon BBQ appetizer.
For the Wings:
- 5 lbs. chicken wings
- 1 ½ T. baking powder
- 1 T. garlic powder
- Pinch of black pepper
For the Bourbon BBQ sauce:
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- ¼ c. minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (for spicier wings, add a few more peppers)
- 1 c. ketchup
- 1/3 c. molasses
- 1/3 c. light brown sugar
- ¼ c. apple cider vinegar
- 2 t. lemon juice
- ¼ c. coffee
- 2 T. Devils River Bourbon Whiskey
- 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a cooking rack on top.
- In a large bowl, toss the wing pieces with the baking powder, garlic powder, and black pepper until evenly coated.
- Arrange the pieces on the cooking rack about an inch apart.
- Bake for 25 minutes on each side.
While the wings are baking, make the sauce.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients and stir until mixed. Allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the sauce has started to thicken. Turn the heat down to low to keep warm. Use an immersion blender to smooth out the sauce. (Or, pour the sauce into a blender or food processor to blend before returning to the saucepan to keep warm.)
- Once the wings have baked for 50 minutes total (25 min. per side), remove them from the oven and toss them in the sauce until coated. Then place the wings back on the cooking rack and broil for 1-2 minutes (be sure to keep an eye on the wings so the sauce doesn’t start to burn).
Created in partnership with The Whimsical Cook.