If offered a trick or treat our Devils Advocates will always reach for the treat. So why not mix up a batch of sinfully sweet BOOzy Coffee Bourbon Mummy Brownies tonight?
- 1 c. unsalted butter
- 2 T. black cocoa powder
- 8 oz. dark chocolate (from a baking bar, fèves, or chips), chopped into smaller pieces
- 2 T. Devils River Coffee Bourbon
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- ½ t. salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 c. brown sugar, packed
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 2 t. vanilla
- White candy melts
- Eyeball sprinkles
To make the brownies*:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9×13” baking pan with parchment paper and spray with baking spray. (Be sure the parchment paper leaves an overhang—this will act as a sling to lift the brownies out of the tin later.)
- Use a double boiler, or a heat-proof bowl on top of a saucepan filled with a few inches of simmering water, to melt together the butter, cocoa, and chocolate. Once everything has melted, stir in the coffee bourbon until all is combined. Remove the double boiler or bowl from heat and set on a wire rack to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer (or the whisk attachment of your stand mixer) on low to combine the eggs, sugars, and vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Increase the mixer’s speed to medium and slowly pour in the chocolate mixture, whisking until the batter is smooth (about 1 minute).
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture, and use a rubber spatula to mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, using your spatula to lightly smooth and even out the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out with just a few crumbs attached to it.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely in the pan. (Setting the pan on a cooling rack will speed this process a bit.)
- Use the parchment paper sling to lift the brownies from the pan in one big sheet, and then use a large, sharp knife to neatly slice the brownies into 12 even pieces.
- Heat the white candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute at 50% power. Stir, then microwave for another 30 seconds at a time until the mixture has fully melted.
- Pour the white mixture into a piping bag, or into a plastic storage bag with one small corner snipped off. Pipe in white diagonal stripes across the tops of the brownies—these are supposed to look like mummies, so it’s okay for the piping to be quick and look messy! Add two eyeball sprinkles to each brownie.
- Allow the icing to set, and then enjoy your Halloween treat!
*This brownie recipe is adapted from Michelle Lopez’s Better-Than-Supernatural Fudge Brownies.
Created in partnership with The Whimsical Cook.