Bourbon-Braised Beef Pot Pies
Bourbon-Braised Beef Pot Pie
- 2-2.5 lbs. beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¼ c. flour
- 2-3 T. canola oil
- ¼ c. stout beer
- ¼ c. Devils River Bourbon Whiskey
- 2 c. beef broth
- 1 T. tomato paste
- 1 T. soy sauce
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into slices ½-inch thick
- 5-7 gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Frozen puff pastry sheet
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Heat 1 T. of the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Salt and pepper the beef cubes, then brown in batches, about 5-7 minutes each batch. Set aside until all the beef has been browned.
- Deglaze the fond from the bottom of the pot with the beer, scraping up any loosened bits.
- Slowly add the flour to the pan, whisking constantly to keep the flour from burning. Then slowly pour in the bourbon and beef broth.
- Add the tomato paste and soy sauce to the pan, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the beef back into the pot and stir to coat with the liquid mixture. Add the sprigs of thyme, then cover the meat with the carrots and potatoes. Cover and put the pot in the oven for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, stir the contents of the pot to mix the beef, carrots, and potatoes. Re-cover and cook another hour. Then remove the pot from the oven and carefully remove the thyme sprigs.
- Increase the oven temperature to 375°.
- Scoop the beef mixture into four individual oven-safe baking dishes. Cut the puff pastry sheet into four equal pieces, and cover each pot pie dish. Cut a few slits into the top of each to allow steam to escape, and brush the egg wash over the tops. (You can also make one large casserole-size pot pie by pouring all of the filling into a larger baking dish and covering with the entire puff pastry sheet.)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the puff pastry is golden brown and flaky.
Recipe created in partnership with The Whimsical Cook.